The nationally-ranked and five-time GMMVC champion Laker men's club volleyball program has announced dates and times for their fall open gyms and tryouts in preparation for the 2017-18 season. Open gyms and tryouts are open to the GVSU student body and prior volleyball experience is not required.
- Thursday, September 7, 9:30-11:30 PM – Rec Center South Gym (Courts 4 & 5)
- Thursday, September 14, 9:30-11:30 PM – Rec Center South Gym (Courts 4 & 5)
- Thursday, September 21, 9:30-11:30 PM – Rec Center South Gym (Courts 4 & 5)
- Tuesday, September 26, 8:30-11:00 PM – Rec Center South Gym (Courts 4 & 5)
- Wednesday, September 27, 8:30-11:00 PM – Rec Center South Gym (Courts 4 & 5)
- Thursday, September 28, 8:30-11:00 PM – Rec Center South Gym (Courts 4 & 5)
Open gym attendance is not mandatory, though highly encouraged. Tryouts are a three-day process, and attendance at all three days is required for the coaching staff to properly evaluate athletes. Please arrive at least 30 minutes early to each tryout to register. If there are unavoidable class/work conflicts that could impact attendance, please contact the club at [email protected]. Program selections will be finalized on the last day of tryouts.
There is a nonrefundable $5 tryout fee for all new athletes. Open gyms are free.
Athletic attire is required at all open gyms and at tryouts: properly fitting athletic court shoes, clothes you can easily move around in, and a water bottle.
The Laker Men's Volleyball program is a proud member of the National Collegiate Volleyball Federation (NCVF) and competes in the Greater Midwest Men's Volleyball Conference (GMMVC) of the Midwest Intercollegiate Volleyball Association (MIVA). The program fields two teams: the nationally competitive Division I team, comprised of the best athletes and volleyball players, and the regionally competitive Division III team, which are the athletes just learning the sport and developing their skills. The DI team is consistently ranked among the top teams in the nation in the NCVF national rankings year after year, finishing the 2017 season at #19 where they won the GMMVC championship for the second-consecutive season.
If you have any questions or would like more information about the program, please contact the club at [email protected].